Monday, October 28, 2013

Book Review: Circle of Fire

This is a great winter read that will keep you warm on those chilly nights. That said, if I didn't know who the publisher was, I would think it was an indie title due to some of its issues. But first, what I loved about it.

The main character pulled me in and had my sympathizing for her from page one. Mystery builds from the word go and kept me turning pages late into the night. The author has a talent for ending chapters on a tense moment that left me wanting to know more, which makes for a quick, enjoyable read.

The slow flame build of attraction between Maddie and John developed at believable pace and kept the tension singing. I enjoyed the read overall and would recommend it to fans of romance and paranormal. However, if you're looking for erotic elements, you won't find them here. What sex is in it is 'closed doors' that barely gets an R rating.

What didn't work: There were a few places where the action stopped and leaped to something else in a disjointed way that left me wondering if a part of the chapter was left out. While Maddie's self-loathing due to her past was understandable, it got on my nerves a bit. I would have liked to see her grow into her power more and become more comfortable with herself than was developed by the end.

An advanced eARC of Circle of Fire was provided to me through NetGalley by the publisher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment